httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_protocol.c
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:37:39 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 04:39:32PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> It just occurred to me that by the time we arrive at this particular
> block, the byterange filter should have normalized all such buckets
> because it calls apr_brigade_length(), which reads in all buckets of
> indeterminate length.  So this block is probably never reached, but it's
> worthwhile to have it right anyway.

It should be right. It would be very easy for a bucket to be based on a pipe
or a socket, thus being uncopyable, but it knows the length of data to be
read from that pipe/socket.

Imagine if you have a particular protocol running over some socket to a
backend server. You know the next chunk of data is 1000 bytes. You insert
your custom socket bucket, saying "<this> socket, 1000 bytes". It can be
read, but it can't be copied.

Cheers,
-g

--