httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "'Justin Erenkrantz '" <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/ssl README mod_ssl.h ssl_engine _init.c ssl_util.c
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:07:52 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:01:35AM -0400, MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1) wrote:
> I just built and compiled using the prefork model (without wrapping of the
> APR_HAS_THREADS - and it works !!..
>
> The ssl_util_thr_id() will be registered only if the MPM is threaded.
> However, the symbol apr_os_thread_current is available in libapr.a  -
> irrespective of threaded / prefork model !!!..

No, it's not.  =-)

APR_HAS_THREADS can be set to 1 and you can specify a prefork
(non-threaded) MPM.  Most likely, that is what you are doing.  This
actually incurrs a heavy performance penalty - APR must make itself
threadsafe when it doesn't have to.  So, performance with prefork is
best if you say:
--with-mpm=prefork --disable-threads

apr_os_thread_current isn't defined if APR_HAS_THREADS is 0.  Think of
FreeBSD.  -- justin