httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.24 ready for beta?
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:16:12 GMT
On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:53:03PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> However, the bugs are getting more subtle and take longer to debug and
> fix.  With our current process, a great deal of new code can be
> committed while the gnarly problem in last tarball is being debugged.
> Why would we think that the new code is any less likely to contain
> serious bugs than the previous set of changes?  How do we get off this
> treadmill?

We got "off the treadmill" by stopping this silly business of holding up
tarballs.

Snap a tarball. Give it a once over. Release it as an alpha. Bam. Done.

Come back a week later and upgrade it to a beta. Not so hard.

We are right back where we were last year: releases take forever. We have
completely lost the "snap. release." routine. Releases of *any* quality
can be happening every couple weeks or even faster. But since everybody is
"oh no, it *MUST* be a beta" we're waiting forever. It's silly.

If you want a release, then make a release. Label it as beta or gold or
whatever later. Nobody said we can't change the quality level over time.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/