httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@fujitsu-siemens.com>
Subject Location of /manual
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2001 08:52:07 GMT
In the configuration file, we have:

> #
> # This should be changed to the ServerRoot/htdocs/manual/.  The alias provides
> # the manual, even if you choose to move your DocumentRoot.  You may comment
> # this out if you do not care for the documentation.
> #
> Alias /manual "@@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/manual"
>
> <Directory "@@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/manual/">
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews

By doing it this way, we make it easy for end users to modify the
DocumentRoot to separate their contents from the manual's, but we
make it difficult if they choose to replace the contents in the
@@ServerRoot@@/htdocs directory directly.

I would propose to handle /manual quite similar to /icons as a read-only
resource which is part of the server, not part of the documentroot.

In other words, I propose to move /manual up one directoryy level,
side by side with /icons:
   @@ServerRoot@@/htdocs/...
   @@ServerRoot@@/icons/...
   @@ServerRoot@@/manual/...

Then we really don't need to worry about overwriting the /manual
directory during installation (we don't for /icons either, but we
have been careful with /htdocs at least in Apache 1.3).

Thanks to the Alias, no end-user-change is visible. but we get a
much better separation.

Your comments?

   Martin
--