httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:34:48 GMT
On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 02:44:31PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> 4. Change the default document list to serve index.html index.html.var in that order.
>    This will shortcut a ton of time negotating the content by stat() calls, since
>    without Multiviews we won't look for index.html.*, but we will catch the typemap :)
>
> Could this solution presuade everybody between 0 and +1 for negotated content?

+1. Yes, that would reduce the file system access to three open()s
(1 failed for index.html, 1 successful for index.html.var, 1 for the
actual index.html.<lang>) from a complete directory search.

> I need to think about this whole problem before I have any concrete ideas.  One little
> solution, though, might be to actually allow _content_ within a typemap file, such that
> no subrequest is run.  That means every error 'code' file would become effectively
> a single mapping list with dozens of little content 'bits'.
> Does that appeal?

It reminds me of mod_include's functionality. We could add a new XSSI
directive <!--#switch val="$HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" --> and
<!--#case expr="(en|en-us)" --> ----- uh oh. No, I agree with everyone who
read this far -- mod_include was not intended for programming. And
the actual negotiation algorithm would be lost. So: "enhancing" mod_include
is not the way to go.

   Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens