httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_negotiation.c
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 23:40:59 GMT
If the file with the unrecognized extension did not exist, would the
result be a 404 or a 200?  If it would have been 200, then 500 would be
a reasonable error response.  If it would have been 404, then 404 is the
only reasonable response --- an admin can look at the error_log to find
out why.

The specific example you described in the commit message should always
result in a 404.  This is a protocol answer.

> I believe we want a 500, here's why...
> A 404 error is far more likely to go 'unnoticed', although it's pretty obviously
> a configuration error (why are we searching for indexes that are misconfigured?
> If the admin wants to deny access, Options -Includes and leave DefaultIndex out.)
> A 500 tell the admin, as well as the user, that we are in trouble, and something
> needs to be fixed.  If you yell loud enough, the problem gets fixed.
> Note this is an unusual error, but people do stumble across it.  A 404 would
> minimize the problem too far.

View raw message