httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Scoreboard as linked list.
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 04:59:25 GMT
> Understand, this isn't a theoretical concern for me.   I have modules that
> walk the scoreboard on every request.  They are looking to determine what
> each of the other workers is doing.
> Requiring any locking to walk the scoreboard is a non-starter.

Well, that's bizarre.  Doing that in a worker doesn't make any sense. I could
understand the parent process doing a walk per second for stats collection,
which would also obviate the need for locking, but having every child walk
every other child on every request is going to make for a sucky server
whether the scoreboard locks or not.

Anyway, I think this discussion is pointless.  We need a server that is
very fast and another server that is very extensible and yet another server
that is highly managed, so I guess y'all will have to write three MPMs for
every process model.  Just do me a favor and choose names that differentiate
one MPM from another rather than names that are common to many MPMs
(threaded, worker) or completely meaningless (dexter).

....Roy