httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Scoreboard as linked list.
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:17:16 GMT
On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:19:09PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> >My modules are walking the scoreboard on every request to gather information
> >that is only stored there.  Any locking will kill the performance of those modules.
> >
> that sounds kinda ugly performance wise anyway,
> just out of interest, why does you module need scoreboard info on each
> request.

I agree. To me, the scoreboard (being by definition a shared resource)
just seems like one of those places where you have to bite the bullet
and do locking, and try not to put too much of the work in the critical
sections. But that's just me.

> couldn't we use a rw_lock/spin lock  instead of a mutex? that wouldn't
> be as big a hit as a mutex

Although I'm a big rwlock fan, after seeing those number you (Ian) gave
me from your 8-way box on rwlocks, I'm afraid to use them anymore :)

"pthread_mutex all the way!"

-aaron