httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c request.c
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:18:29 GMT
From: "Bill Stoddard" <bill@wstoddard.com>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 10:54 AM

> > > Actually, they are closer than you might think.  quick_handler's purpose is
to allow
> > > requests to be served as quickly as possible.  It skips a lot of phases of
the
> > > request to accomplish that.  If map_to_storage is tweaked a bit, it can accomplish
> > > the same thing.
> >
> > Quick_handler bypasses everything.  We ignore the client's headers, the server's
> > configuration, everything.  Frankly, quick_handler is not Apache, and anyone who
writes
> > a quick_handler hack and calls it a module for 'Apache' is full of sh*t.  Powered
by the
> > Apr/Apache MPM/load manager is more like it (that isn't badness, that's just reality.)
>
> So tell us how you -really- feel :-)

Let me fine-tune my statement.  Modules that use quick_handler bypass the _user's_ expectations,
and our documented behavior.  If this is ok for a given module, and is well documented, then
fine.

I feel that nothing frustrates me more, personally, than to follow docs and observe a different
result than was doumented.  That's why I turned Greg to the <Location >/<Limit >
combinations
for DAV, since they have odd side-effects.

> I am looking at the map_to_storage hook to see how it works. Stay tuned.  The
> quick_handler hook was named after (and is used by) Mike Abbott's quick cache, an -Apache-
> module. It is a specialized hook to serve a specialized purpose: serving web pages as
fast
> as possible from a user space resident cache. And it can be used without compromising
the
> security of the server.

The best example is loading the mod_proxy/proxy_http combination.  I have to say that the
patch
to mod_proxy was about as clear as I've ever written.  It will give you a terrific feel for
what
can be done :)

>From an optimization perspective, see the <Location > patch from last night, it
shows what you
can do with pre-cached per_dir_config's, you would just need to use config wide pools and
voila,
mod_file_cache can have preconstructed per_dir_configs too.  I'll be modifying <Directory
also observe any preconstruction, so all internal_internal_redirect and subreq entities can
go
back through directory_walk without consuming significant CPU.

Bill