httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: ldap?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:34:06 GMT
From: "Graham Leggett" <minfrin@sharp.fm>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 11:25 PM

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> > I realize that this is a small piece, but the message posted by Will
> > also doesn't say anything about mod_auth_ldap.c.
>
> mod_auth_ldap is that part of the LDAP patch that does the actual useful
> work (mod_ldap does nothing useful on it's own). I put it in modules/aaa
> because I felt it made the most sense there, though there is no reason
> it couldn't be in modules/ldap.

> > > why wasn't an httpd-ldap or similar subproject created for this instead?
>
> This is not a bad idea - though I think it is important to see the issue
> of the Apache rollup release resolved before it gets moved.

No, please move it first.  This creates four communities (proxy, pop, mbox,
and ldap) that all share a desire to get this resolved.  A fifth is likely
on it's way - there are users in some parts of the world that cannot *legally*
download or checkout httpd without violating the crypto laws of their own
country.  So let's say five communities.  So tls/ssl will likely move into
an httpd-ssl [or -tls, I don't care] project.

The mod_ldap/mod_auth_ldap don't implement any aspect of the http protocol,
so they need to be located in a subproject (heck, proxy implements a huge
subset of the http protocol, yet it's broken out to accomplish it's own
development track.)

> There are some dependancy relationships that are starting to form
> between the various modules - mod_proxy will soon depend on mod_tls and
> mod_ldap, mod_auth_ldap depends on mod_ldap. We need to make sure that
> the rollup tree has all the modules that satisfy the dependancies in
> one.

There always were.  That's what the family of hooks, registered functions,
callbacks and pool notes come in.

Bill

[About mod_ldap - if it accomplishes nothing (standing alone) yet is very
useful functionallity, it really does deserve it's own apr-ldap repository.]

pps - it would be really nice to have a single checkout called httpd-all that
grabs everything, wouldn't it :-?