httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c request.c
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 05:12:07 GMT
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 9:43 PM

Going into more gorey detail (I was wrong, translate name does run the first.)

translate_name

  core  /foo/bar maps to c:/docroot/foo/bar

  alias /foo/bar is c:/some/bar

  [it would go no further, nothing else in translate name gets a chance.]

map_to_storage

  proxy?  we aught to proxy_walk instead.

  TRACE?  hey, we need to go no futher

  core:   well what are the <Dir/File > sections for c:/some/bar?

These are two different phases of the same part of the server.  Before, nobody
could circumvent <Dir/File > processing.  Now we allow it if the module has a very
clear understanding of what they are doing.  I don't like the name map_to_storage,
and wasn't kidding when I suggested the walkers_run hook (as in, ap_run_walkers_run :)
because it actually describes what we are doing.  The fact that TRACE ends up lodged
in there has more to do with the fact that proxy MUST override the default TRACE
behavior, or it can't pass traces to the proxied server.

I'm taking names for the map_to_storage handler, if anyone has a better suggestion.
Some possibilities are parse_dir_config, fixup_dir_config, whatever.

Bill