httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:17:02 GMT
From: "Martin Kraemer" <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 2:44 AM

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 11:10:15PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > By using a Type Map with integrated content (one file per error) - see my commit
tommorow :)

> Side Proposal: Use a MIME format with multipart/alternative, add a
> MIME parser to Apache, and use the MIME headers to select the correct
> variant.

To answer your proposal (and I suggest retaining my own once we fix the syntax
to everyone's satisfaction) ...

We should do either what you suggest, or create an XML database (easily split
by expat) as an alternate typemap syntax.

Basically, mod_negotiation is too big right now.  We need to split it into these
groups of behavior;

  A handler that constructs an internal typemap from our RFC822 typemap syntax,
  passes it to a common internal typemap negotiator, and does the redirect or
  serves the content.

  A handler that implements multiviews by constructing an internal typemap from
  a readdir() pattern matching function, passes it to the internal typemap
  negotiator, and does the redirect.

  A future handler that parses XML.

  A future handler that parses multipart/alternative.

  The Negotiator that takes an internal typemap, the client's headers, and returns
  a 'best fit'.  The negotiator is going to someday need to add 'translation' that
  text/plain can be upgraded to text/html by an output filter, or one charset
  is easily converted to another by a charset filter.  Quality becomes a big issue,
  converting any to utf-8 is almost always q=1.0, but going from utf-8 to a local
  page is more like q=.001 due to mapping errors :(  Text/plain to text/html is down
  at a quality of .001 because it's formatting is far less than the real text/html
  file would offer.

I think we aught to start using our conftree stuff for this, but I'm not touching
that issue today.

I'll commit my Body: parsing code unless I see a -1 this morning, and we can fix the
syntax in-tree after it's committed, if someone has a specific, good suggestion.

Bill