httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 2.0.23 tarballs up
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 19:05:32 GMT
From: "Chuck Murcko" <chuck@topsail.org>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 4:11 PM

> +1 for beta. -1 for GA.

Why on this Green Earth are we even discussing this?

Roy's new model goes...

  tag.  test.  roll.  test.

  Does it build most everwhere?  --> alpha.

  announce.  others test.

  Does it work most everywhere?  --> beta.

  announce.  still more of the world tests.

  Does it now build and work nearly everywhere?

  Can we accept the flaws remaining?  --> now, finally, ga.

So there is nothing to vote on or discuss, beyond promoting this to
alpha, perhaps beta.  There are millions of Apache binaries running.
Let others pound on it before anyone discusses ga release.

When 2.0 presents fewer bugs than 1.3 (that's not asking that much, there
are enough headaches in 1.3 that are already washed away) for the general
beta population, then I'll be +1 for ga.  We haven't heard from that group
yet, we haven't even asked them :)

Bill