httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Win32 Build Process Broken
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 07:18:14 GMT
From: "Sebastian Bergmann" <sb@sebastian-bergmann.de>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2001 2:03 AM

> Jerry Baker wrote:
> > All better. Thanks.
>
>   Hm, it bails on a missing 'awk' executable here. I'll search for
>   a Win32 port of it now and try again.
>
>   Just curious: Why is awk now needed on Win32?

Actually, bison and awk will soon be required, but not for final distros
(I HOPE!) only for intermediate builds from CVS.  But the SSL bison output
is stored in CVS, so it doesn't frequently have to be regenerated (although
the win32 project will now do so, when required.)

There has been a request out there for some time to version stamp the Win32
binaries.  From the installer point of view, I've agreed, but refused to
attack the problem by adding more manually updated cruft in the tree.

Specifically, we have 6 binaries, and some 20 dlls out there.  We aren't
about to go stamping each and every when we roll the tarball.  Worse, they
don't follow the same conventions, each really needs it's own description,
and MS decided that x,y,z,b (with commas) is the way to specify versions :(

So, I've created a simple awk script that tears the current version from
include/ap_release.h.

win_compiling.html has references to the awk95 port, and gawk is tested and works.
If too much of the world complains, I may drop these into cvs.  But they will
need regular updating (scripted) on every release.  Simpler if the Win32 RM just
cuts these images for the tarball.

Someday soon, awk will be manditory, once .dsp files are also auto-generated ...
The evil alternative is to force everyone to install WSH at several MB :(

Bill