httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2001 04:45:38 GMT
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>

> From: "Joshua Slive" <slive@hotmail.com>
>
> > <quote>
> > That sounds like a job for ForceDefaultLanguage then, eh?
> >
> > ForceDefaultLanguage off  (no touchee)
> > ForceDefaultLanguage parent  (ok... en for en-us is better than nothing)
> > ForceDefaultLanguage nomatch  (better serve our DefaultLanguages)
> > ForceDefaultLanguage full  (Alrightie, try en for en-us, then our DefaultLanguages)
> >
> > How does this sound?
> > </quote>
> >
> > Looks good.
> >
> > I might use "prefix" rather than "parent".  The latter is quite a loaded
> > term already.
>
> agreed.

Ok, I'm refining this a bit...

ForceLanguagePriority off    (Returns 406 - None Acceptable - choose)
ForceLanguagePriority prefix (Walk LanguagePriority for xx[-*]* matches, serve the first found

                             - otherwise returns 406 - None Acceptable - choose)
ForceLanguagePriority any    (Walk LanguagePriority, serve the first found)
ForceLanguagePriority full   (Walk LanguagePriority for xx[-*]* matches, serve the first found

                             - otherwise walk LanguagePriority, serve the first found)

ForceDefaultLanguage prefix is a bit more refined than what we do today, and is probably
more 'correct'.  Take these examples with ForceDefaultLanguage Prefix;

Files en-us, en-gb exist, Priority is en-us, en-gb, and the user requests en

  we miss on en, so we search for en[-*]*, and find en-us

same example, but only fr exists

  we miss on en, we look for en* but we don't find any at all.  406.

Files en, en-gb exist, Priority is en, en-gb, and the user requests en-us

  we miss on en-us, so we search for en[-*]*, and find en before en-gb so we serve it.

I really think this is a more 'refined' approach that gives the operator the choice of
'following' the RFC.  It lets them fall back on the entire LanguagePriority list (in the
above examples, ForceLanguagePriority Any would have served the first in LanguagePriority,
regardless of 'possible' matches within the language prefix group.)  And it gives them
the full (do both, but we would prefer to stay within our language group, thanks :)

> Default language describes untagged docs, it has nothing to do with what we
> 'choose' to serve.

Sorry for the original typo in 'parent' :(

I suspect our ForceLanguagePriority in manual and htdocs becomes 'Full'.

Patch tommorow, I expect.

Bill