httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c request.c
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:54:20 GMT
> > > map_to_storage is definitely not the same as quick_handler. But
> > > quick_handler does have a use so it stays in.
> >
> > Actually, they are closer than you might think.  quick_handler's purpose is to allow
> > requests to be served as quickly as possible.  It skips a lot of phases of the
> > request to accomplish that.  If map_to_storage is tweaked a bit, it can accomplish
> > the same thing.
>
> It's not going to be tweaked (you security sloths, you :)  We need to look at each of
> the hook phases, and figure out how a module can selectively bypass that hook, when
> it should, and why.  I'll probably start a paper detailing how the current Apache system
> exposes hooks, and what's the harm in using/bypassing those hooks.
>
> Quick_handler bypasses everything.  We ignore the client's headers, the server's
> configuration, everything.  Frankly, quick_handler is not Apache, and anyone who writes
> a quick_handler hack and calls it a module for 'Apache' is full of sh*t.  Powered by
the
> Apr/Apache MPM/load manager is more like it (that isn't badness, that's just reality.)

So tell us how you -really- feel :-)

I am looking at the map_to_storage hook to see how it works. Stay tuned.  The
quick_handler hook was named after (and is used by) Mike Abbott's quick cache, an -Apache-
module. It is a specialized hook to serve a specialized purpose: serving web pages as fast
as possible from a user space resident cache. And it can be used without compromising the
security of the server.

Bill