httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Multi Language Error Documents
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:31:16 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Slive" <slive@hotmail.com>
To: <new-httpd@apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 6:27 PM
Subject: RE: Multi Language Error Documents

> <quote>
> That sounds like a job for ForceDefaultLanguage then, eh?
>
> ForceDefaultLanguage off  (no touchee)
> ForceDefaultLanguage parent  (ok... en for en-us is better than nothing)
> ForceDefaultLanguage nomatch  (better serve our DefaultLanguages)
> ForceDefaultLanguage full  (Alrightie, try en for en-us, then our
> DefaultLanguages)
>
> How does this sound?
> </quote>
>
> Looks good.
>
> I assume that this comes into effect only when language negotiation has
> otherwise failed.  In other words, we are about to server a "No Acceptable
> Variants" message, but we decide to serve something else instead.

correct.

> To use a
> specific example, someone who requests "en-us, fr;q=0.8, en;q=0.7" should
> get the French page if the available variants are "fr" and "en" regardless
> of the setting of this directive.  If, on the other hand, they request just
> "en-us" then I think we can give them whatever the heck we please.

correct.

> I might use "prefix" rather than "parent".  The latter is quite a loaded
> term already.

agreed.

> I am also not sure from your description whether you plan to
> fall back to DefaultLanguage or LanguagePriority.  The latter is more
> flexible and is a better overloading.  It is possible that someone might
> want untagged documents to be marked as "en" but still prefer to send "fr".

Language priority (unless full is given, and prefix is found.)

Default language describes untagged docs, it has nothing to do with what we
'choose' to serve.

now time to leave again to collect children.  I've committed the conf/typemap
change, time for docs folks to clean them up.

Bill