httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [Spread-users] send text to spread group from command line?]
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:05:03 GMT
On Monday 27 August 2001 07:14, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > I would.  But I have a very good reason.  We already have the same
> > basic idea, but done a bit safer.  Basically, we have a log_error hook,
> > but it is run at the end of log_error_core, so that we are sure that we
> > always get the error in the error_log, even if we don't get it anyplace
> > else.  There are some minor tweaks that should be made to the
> > current hook, because right now it actually sends out too much
> > information, like the timestamp.  But, it should handle what George wants
> > just fine.
> I don't see why this is any safer than George's proposal, though -
> indeed, IMO, his is more elegant since it makes it easier for someone
> who really wants to disable the standard error logging to be able to do
> so.

Ah, but the point of my patch was to make that harder to do, not easier.  :-)
My thinking was that error logs are everything.  If you lose a log, then there
is a problem.  If a module seg faults during the error_log, then you may not
ever know that there was a problem.  This way, we are sure the have the log
on the disk regardless of what else happens.  If you want to disable the disk-
based log, just log to /dev/null.

Ryan Bloom
Covalent Technologies

View raw message