httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/aaa config.m4
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2001 07:01:03 GMT

I disagree.  I specifically used --enable-module=all earlier today, because I
wanted mod_ssl.  I was VERY surprised to find that it wasn't compiled.  Now,
I understand that mod_ssl isn't enabled using that option.  But I believe that is
a big mistake.

As for what the options has meant historically, it has never been available
before.  According to README.configure from Apache 1.3:

>    $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
>                  --enable-module=most \
>                  --enable-shared=max
>    $ make
>    $ make install
>
>  This first enables most of the modules (all modules except some problematic
>  ones like mod_auth_db which needs third party libraries not available on
>  every platform or mod_log_agent and mod_log_referer which are deprecated)
>  and then enables DSO support for all of them. This way you get all these
>  modules installed and you then can decide under runtime (via the
>  `LoadModule') directives which ones are actually used. Especially a very
>  useful for vendor package maintainers to provide a flexible Apache package.

So, fine --enable-modules=most only tries to configure a sub-set of the modules,
because they aren't all available on all platforms.  Those that are in most should
still halt the configure script, because that way we know when there is a problem.

Ryan