httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [Patch]: Scoreboard as linked list.
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2001 20:26:39 GMT
On Saturday 04 August 2001 12:57, Brian Pane wrote:
> Paul J. Reder wrote:
> >Brian Pane wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >>Also, the documentation
> >>that Paul posted mentions the option of using per-process or
> >>per-worker locking; that might offer sufficiently small granularity,
> >>depending on what specifically your modules are doing with the
> >>scoreboard.
> >>--Brian
> >
> >Again, this is a possibility, *if* performance requires it. Using
> >finer granularity locking adds complexity to the code. I would
> >discourage moving to this unless the current scheme proves to be
> >a problem.
>
> I'm fundamentally in agreement.  My point was not that finer-grained
> locking is inherently necessary, but rather that the ability of your
> design to support finer-grained locking refutes Ryan's theoretical
> concern about locking being a fundamental bottleneck.

Understand, this isn't a theoretical concern for me.   I have modules that walk the scoreboard
on every request.  They are looking to determine what each of the other workers is doing.
Requiring any locking to walk the scoreboard is a non-starter.

Are there other ways to handle what I need to do?  Yes.  They add greatly to the complexity
of
my code.  I have also posted two other problems with the current patch.  One is a simple bug
that
Paul is fixing, the other is a fundamental design flaw that also requires I give the patch
a -1.

Ryan