httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental mod_cache.c
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:14:43 GMT

> stoddard@apache.org wrote:
>
> >   Make CACHE_IN and CACHE_CONDITIONAL AP_FTYPE_CONTENT filters.  Comtemplating
> >   making a new filter type, AP_FTYPE_CACHE.  We need to run CACHE_IN immediately
> >   after the handlers are done and before we run the content through any filters.
>
> In the original design the cache should be run as the very first
> handler, and the very last filter.
>
> This means that the gzip filter (for example) should run before the
> cache filter, so that gzipped data ends up in the cache, thus to save
> space within the cache, and save processing power when delivering
> content to clients.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

How do you handle things like byterange requests if CACHE_IN is a network filter? The
byterange filter will filter out all but the range requested so the CACHE_IN filter will
never see the full response.  Ditto the output chunking filter. Also, there could be
various content translation filters installed in the filter stack (ASCII <--> EBCDIC,
language translation, whatever. The list is indeterminate so we cannot reliably put code
into CACHE_IN to detect these conditions and not cache.

Bill