httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server mpm_common.c
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 17:04:20 GMT
trawick@apache.org writes:

> trawick     01/07/11 07:48:28
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                server   mpm_common.c
>   Log:
>   Fix an issue with the pod and prefork:
>
>   when the parent process wakes up a server process via connect(), use
>   an APR timeout on the connect() so that we don't hang for a long time
>   if there aren't server processes around to do accept()

At this point, the problem preventing 2_0_20 (prefork) from being used
on apache.org should be resolved.

I think that prefork should tell ap_mpm_pod_killpg() to kill off
approx* the right number of servers instead of telling it to kill off
ap_daemons_limit servers.  When we tell it to kill off too many
servers,

1) new generation servers can wake up unnecessarily
2) parent may have to wait for the connect timeout in
   ap_mpm_pod_signal()

Neither of these is a serious problem AFAIK but both are a sort of
uncleanliness which causes confusion during debugging and/or reviewing
a syscall trace.

I suspect that Greg Ames will play with this.  I'll be out of contact
for a week or so and won't be actively contemplated MPM issues :)

*it can never be perfect, as we can have server processes realize they
need to go away and exit after the parent process decides how many to
kill...
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...