httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject OSDLab projectL Accept() locking on large (6+ CPU) boxes
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:43:09 GMT
Folks,

Some time ago Sander Temme did some tests to certify Covalent's Apache/SSL
product as part of the SunTone program.

Part of that entails running it on anything from a tiny SUN Ultra T1 all
the way up to 8 way big iron.

We found that, for purely static content, the default locking mechanisms
where far from ideal. And in fact that we had a hard time saturating
machines from small to large with the single configuration across the
whole range of Sun machines.

After playing with some locking strategies we now suspect that this
actually might not be sun specific; but a general multi processor (6 way
and above) box issue.

So we've proposed a small project to the the Open Software Developer Lab
(www.osdlab.org)  to do some careful measuring and tuning attempts across
a _range_ of 1 CPU .. 16 CPU boxes with different locking mechanisms (on
Linux in their case). We expect to find that some mechanisms are good for
few CPU's and some for a lot of CPU's. (And we obviously will experiment
with various types of loads, client-rtt's, etc, etc to understand what is
happening).

In any case; we'll report back here on the list what we find; hopefully
backed by a patch if we can make apache do better.

If you have any suggestions, comments; send them either to this list; or
send them to Sander <sctemme@covalent.net> or me - and we'll make sure
they get summarized.

If they turn out to be large questions ... well then we'll just need ask
the OSDLab for some more time or propose a new project.

But we wanted to keep our first project as simple as possible - and to
keep its scope small and timeline short.

Dw.