httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: mod_file_cache performance
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:52:05 GMT
is this across loopback?

if so then it's useless for performance tuning/measurement.  you gotta use
a real network, and a beefy enough client to get any meaningful results.

or is it a single 100baseT segment?  if so then this is too little network
to give meaningful results as well.  unless you optimise something other
than "r/s" or "bytes/s" -- study the idle CPU for example.  idle CPU
becomes a much more useful metric when you aren't maxing out the system.

that said, you might want to use lmbench <ftp://ftp.bitmover.com/lmbench/>
to study what file open times are like under linux.  they're pretty damn
small.  linux's dcache kicks a lot of ass... and in the end, userland
caching of stuff like this just means you're duplicating efforts.  that
means a waste of L2, which will have a non-linear decrease on your
performance.

but i'm just guessing.

-dean