httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: new hook for pre mpm phase
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:50:39 GMT
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Cody Sherr wrote:
>
> >This patch creates a new hook, pre_mpm. ap_create_scoreboard is moved to a
> >function registered with the pre_mpm hook.
> >
> >This allows modules like mod_snmp and others to register further functions
> >to be run in relation to the creation of the scoreboard, and before mpm.
> >
> couldn't you put the 'ap_run_pre_mpm' inside of the scoreboard code??
> so that at the end of the scoreboard creation it will be called (and
> then change the name to ap_run_post_scoreboard)
>
> that way you won't have to put the hook in EVERY mpm,

That would limit the usefulness of the hook.  It would mean that functions
registered for the hook could only run AFTER the core had created the
scoreboard.  The big use for something like this would actually be
management modules.  The same hook is called at startup and at server
restart.

It would make sense to me to have a management module scan the scoreboard
at restart to gather some statistics to report.  The obvious place to do
stuff like this, is in the create_scoreboard hook.

Ryan