httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 20:50:08 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Greg Marr wrote:

> At 02:06 PM 07/02/2001, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > "The content length filter is (by design) preventing partial writes
> > > to the network from CGI scripts.  It needs to be disabled when
> > > partial writes are necessary."
> >
> >No, we can't disable the C-L filter, it does more than just compute
> >the C-L.  We just need to make it use non-blocking reads.
>
> If the C-L filter is computing the content length, then it will
> prevent partial writes to the network.  How do you propose getting
> around that without disabling the content length calculation?

The C-L filter only computes the content length if it absolutely has to.
In 99% of all requests, the C-L filter doesn't actually compute the C-L to
put in the headers.  But it always computes the C-L, because that is used
in reporting information to mod_status.

The problem here, is that we are reading to get the length of the data,
but we aren't paying attention to whether we really care about getting all
the data or not.

Ryan