httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.21 build/run summary for Solaris 8
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:50:58 GMT
On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

| I bet that Ian didn't enable IPv6 on that Solaris 8 machine.  That
| would force it to get the gethostbyname{_r}() path.

You don't have to "enable" IPv6 on Solaris. When asked in the setup
whether to "enable IPv6" (which is what I think you're thinking of), that
just means "do you want to ifconfig up a IPv6 interface with the default
IPv6 one?"

All the IPv6-born functionality is present in the Solaris 8 kernel and
libs, v6 interfaces present or no.

| Ideally, we should try to use getaddrinfo() even in the normal case
| (i.e. we don't have IPv6).  I don't have time/inclination now to do
| so, but I'll see about adding it to the STATUS file.  Patches
| welcomed.  =)

This is true. the "if defined(HAVE_GETADDRINFO) && APR_HAVE_IPV6" in
sa_common.c could probably be just reduced to the HAVE_GETADDRINFO.

Since getaddrinfo() is basically a part of the standard IPv6
functionality, it's presence pretty much implies IPv6 capabilities in the
system.

/dale