httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Disconnect between bucket and filter enums?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:51:45 GMT
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > Those lines concern the mode variable into the bucket read functions.
> > apr_util has BLOCK_READ and NONBLOCK_READ.  The filters have similar
> > (but not exactly the same) names and honor a third value PEEK.  IIRC,
> > most compilers start enums at 0 - so I doubt the mismatch is hurting
> > us as long as we don't pass PEEK to the buckets.  It does look like
> > the filter code (ap_http_filter) is using the PEEK enum for
> > keepalive/pipelining detection (not being passed to the buckets
> > though).  Since we are using the PEEK value, I don't think we can
> > just toss the ap_input_mode_t enum.
>
> This was done specifically because of the way enums work in C.  We
> need both enums, because filters have more modes than buckets, and
> filters are a part of Apache, whereas buckets are a part of APR-util.
> Not much we can do about this, other than to lower the warning level,
> or cast.

I've brought this up before and don't remember getting any response... so
anything is better than what's there now as far as I'm concerned.  My
vote: officially santion using a cast to get rid of the warning, document
the dependency heavily in the header file, and change the places in Apache
where a conditional is used to do the conversion to a simple cast.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA