httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Filters : mod_ssl (fwd)
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 04:58:53 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:46:31 -0700
From: "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)"
    <madhusudan_mathihalli@hp.com>
To: 'Cliff Woolley' <jwoolley@virginia.edu>,
     "MATHIHALLI,MADHUSUDAN (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <madhusudan_mathihalli@hp.com>
Cc: Ryan Bloom <rbb@covalent.net>
Subject: RE: Filters : mod_ssl

> > 	If I replace the APR_NONBLOCK_READ with APR_BLOCK_READ, the
> > process just blocks (on read) till I close the client (browser). The
> > output logs is something like below :
>
> Assuming that a timeout is set appropriately, isn't this the expected
> behavior?  If the timeout pops, then you just shut down the connection.
> Right?
>
> --Cliff

Yes. That is the expected behaviour if a timeout is set. But, I haven't set
any timeout currently - so the read blocks till it receives some data OR the
connection is dropped. I verified that the chunk_filter (http_core.c) also
uses a APR_BLOCK_READ while doing a apr_bucket_read.
The reason I had sent out the earlier mail is because of the following set
of observations :

1. Once the handshake is completed, the module should now get the client
data - thru' the apr_bucket_read(). There seems to be no data in the bucket,
which is why the read just blocks - where is the client data ?.
2. As regards the output brigade (pbbOut), I'm confused - don't we need
something like APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_HEAD here ?. I'm still trying to learn
filters / brigades - so, please pardon my ignorance here.
3. As per the log output, the OpenSSL handshake happens twice - are we
losing some client information here ?.

	Also, is there any document which can help me get a detailed
understanding of filters / bucket brigades..

Thanks for you help,
-Madhu