httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fixes to 2.0.20
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:59:13 GMT
On 10 Jul 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> graceful can hang with prefork and threaded can segfault on idle
> server maintenance, both new problems since the previous beta AFAIK
>
> -1 for beta :(

Crap.  :-(  Yeah, that's a problem.  Maybe we can fix these problems and
get a 2.0.21 rolled by mid-week.

Don't know if this information helps any, but here's what I was seeing on
graceful restart with threaded.  Bring up 2.0.20 with the threaded MPM
with the default MPM parameters.  Pull up a /server-status browser window
and set it to refresh every few seconds.  Then do a graceful restart.
You can see the server shifting itself around as the new processes come up
and the old ones go down... but for some reason three workers with
generations 3, 4, and 5 respectively get left behind, one per "line" in
the server-status output (whatever that means), even though the actual
server's generation is now only 1.  How they got to 3, 4, and 5, I don't
know.  What's more, they don't go away even if you then hit the server
with 1000 requests using ab.  A non-graceful restart took them out.  I had
some difficulty at that point getting apachectl stop to work, but
eventually the server did go down without me having to do anything TOO
drastic.

I'll try to provide more details when I get a chance.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA