httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_file_cache performance
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 23:48:36 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> For keepalive requests, since this particular file is less than
> AP_MIN_BYTES_TO_WRITE in size, the core_output_filter will read in the
> file and hang on to it to try to send at the same time as the response to
> the next request using writev().  That's the whole bug we were trying to
> solve with this latest round of patches to mod_file_cache.

I just realized I'm making assumptions that people know how the file
buckets read code works.  By "read in the file", I meant "read from the
file bucket", which since on my system APR_HAS_MMAP and the file is of an
appropriate size means that the file would be MMAPed and then passed to
writev() a few responses at a time.  On systems without APR_HAS_MMAP or in
certain other edge situations, "read in the file" would really mean "read
the file into a buffer on the heap", but not in this case.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA