httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_file_cache performance
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 23:02:13 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, dean gaudet wrote:

> is this across loopback?
>
> if so then it's useless for performance tuning/measurement.  you gotta use
> a real network, and a beefy enough client to get any meaningful results.

I assumed that would make a difference... I just wanted to make sure we
weren't doing something *ridiculously* stupid.  =-)

> that said, you might want to use lmbench <ftp://ftp.bitmover.com/lmbench/>
> to study what file open times are like under linux.  they're pretty damn
> small.  linux's dcache kicks a lot of ass... and in the end, userland
> caching of stuff like this just means you're duplicating efforts.  that
> means a waste of L2, which will have a non-linear decrease on your
> performance.

I'd wondered if that might not be the case.  It makes sense.  I'm in the
middle of running my tests again, and give or take a margin of error, it's
pretty much exactly the same regardless of whether you use the cachefile
directive or not.  MMapFile speeds things up a tad, but not much.  I'll
post those (also useless ;-) numbers a little later.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA