httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: mod_file_cache performance
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:57:39 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Gonyou, Austin wrote:

> One thing you can also do, on the nfs side, is get rid of any timing
> issues with NFS. Like turn off timestamp updating for access, change,
> and read. Also mounting it with caching turned on/off to see if that
> makes any difference, (probably screw up the numbers more), would
> happne.
> OOh oooh. One other thing to, can you do a top or sar or something and watch
> your block reads/writes on the nfs volume? (on both the NFS server and
> client) This will tell us the length at which the bottleneck is extending,
> either it's on the server side or the client side. I'm asking about that
> mainly because there could be things you could do on the server side to
> tweak performance rather than client side when mounting. Also, the CPU time
> the server takes to answer those requests is a pretty significant problem
> I've found. I used to actually have a load ballanced server farm all
> connected across NFS which servered up the entire perl libraries on every
> request..and that just killed everything one day. All our servers were way
> screwed up from that. :) ulimit got killed and CPU time was through the
> roof. :)

Unfortunately I don't have any control over (or even the ability to log
into) my department's NFS server.  Nor do I have root on my testing boxes.
These would be interesting things to look at, I agree, but I can't do it.
:-(  Someone else is free to volunteer...

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA