httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_file_cache performance
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:17:40 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Hummm... I am hoping that there is a bug in the Apache code cause the
> alternatives are not pretty...
>
> For now, I would suggest completely avoid using CacheFile/sendfile and
> focus exclusively on why MMapFile is not working.  We know this can be
> made to work in a process-per-request MPM from our experience with
> mod_mmap_static in Apache 1.3.  We don't know the same about sendfile
> or MMapFile in a Linux threaded MPM.  There may be OS problems with
> sharing an fd (or mmap segment) across multiple threads.  If I get
> some time, I'll do some tests on my AIX box.

Another thing to consider (I didn't realize this until after I sent my
initial message) is that I was serving a file that is on an NFS mounted
volume physically located on a Solaris box.  That opens up a whole new
realm of potential bottlenecks.  I'll try again in a few variants: (1)
with prefork as Austin suggested, and (2) with the file on a local drive
to eliminate NFS concerns.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com