httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Debugging Apache
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:02:45 GMT
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Bojan Smojver wrote:

> scheme due to the fact I've been upgrading from older versions). This
> directory is owned by root:root and only root user has write permissions
> on it. Apache runs as apache:apache on my system and since child
> processes are executed as apache, which is someone that doesn't have the
> privilege to write here, nothing gets written, right? Could that be it?

The "normal" reason for Apache not dump core is that it normally
starts as root then setuid()s to another user.  So most unixes, by
default, do not allow a core dump since it has setuid() so there
may still be "privileged" information in memory from pre-setuid()
times.

If you set it up so it isn't started by root (normally requiring it be
on a port >1024) then you can avoid this.

> When I was experimenting with compilers, Apache dumped the core in / and
> that was the parent process (which runs as root) that did it. Not clear
> why its core ended up in /...

Probably just because of where the problem happened in the process
of starting up...