httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gonyou, Austin" <aus...@coremetrics.com>
Subject RE: Mike Abbot's Patches
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:53:53 GMT
Thanks for the info. I appreciate all of the extra stuff on those patches. I
guess I was most curious about those patches, because if they do work well,
perhaps the concepts they convey could be employed? I'm all for getting a
10x improvement over 1.3 via SSL if possible by using Apache 2.0 on an SMP
machine with a threaded MPM. My earlier tests with 2.0a3 showed, just on
static stuff, that I could easily get a 4x to 6x increase in throughput
using the earlier threaded MPM. It was still a bit broken, but was waaaay
faster than 1.3.x. One thing that has really got the web-business running
scared is the harsh amount of load that persistent encrypted streams seems
to put on a server. I know that with apache 1.3 serving up static stuff via
https, I can get 200 Concurrent users/s pulling the same stuff. I'm
expecting that number to increase dramatically with 2.0 and threading + good
SMP support. I'm predicting that I can get a minimum of 300+/s concurrent
users via encrypted stream with 2.0 + threaded + SMP. The point I'm trying
to make, is as processors get faster and wider, people won't have to be
lured into buying SSL Accelerators for the same price as a server or more,
if there isn't a good need due to better performing software + faster
processors. If you were running perhaps a search engine via encrypted
streams, then I could possibly see the need, even with threading.
Anyway..off my soap box :p

--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA