httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:00:40 GMT
At 01:32 PM 07/02/2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >cgi on all platforms is broken.  Specifically, with the addition
> of
> > >filters, we have lost the ability to flush partially written
> buffers
> > >received from CGI scripts to the network.
> > [...]
> > >Apache 2.0 always does a blocking read (in the content length
> filter)
> >
> > Partial writes to the network from a CGI and content length are
> > mutually exclusive.
>No S**t!! :-) That's why it's broken!  Working on a fix now.

I guess I cut too much... I was replying to Ryan's message:

>Whenever I write a filter, I always read from all buckets with
>non-blocking I/O.  This allows me to flush if I can't get data
>immediately.  If we have core filters that don't work properly then
>we need to fix them.

It's not that the filter is broken.  The filter is behaving
properly.  The desired behavior is just not possible when using

Though the status entry might have been clearer if you already knew
what the problem was:
"The content length filter is (by design) preventing partial writes
to the network from CGI scripts.  It needs to be disabled when
partial writes are necessary."

Greg Marr
"We thought you were dead."