httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:00:40 GMT
At 01:32 PM 07/02/2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > >cgi on all platforms is broken.  Specifically, with the addition
> of
> > >filters, we have lost the ability to flush partially written
> buffers
> > >received from CGI scripts to the network.
> > [...]
> > >Apache 2.0 always does a blocking read (in the content length
> filter)
> >
> > Partial writes to the network from a CGI and content length are
> > mutually exclusive.
>
>No S**t!! :-) That's why it's broken!  Working on a fix now.

I guess I cut too much... I was replying to Ryan's message:

>Whenever I write a filter, I always read from all buckets with
>non-blocking I/O.  This allows me to flush if I can't get data
>immediately.  If we have core filters that don't work properly then
>we need to fix them.

It's not that the filter is broken.  The filter is behaving
properly.  The desired behavior is just not possible when using
content-length.

Though the status entry might have been clearer if you already knew
what the problem was:
"The content length filter is (by design) preventing partial writes
to the network from CGI scripts.  It needs to be disabled when
partial writes are necessary."

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu