httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: State of the beta
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:21:48 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> 2) Maybe, maybe not.  I really like the worker MPM.  I don't see the
> threaded MPM working

Can you actually make threaded stop serving requests in some situation
(including restarts), with the current code?  Have you actually tried
it?  If not, perhaps you should qualify what you mean by not working.
Otherwise you are unnecessarily frightening away potential users of our
2.0.22 tarball.

I believe the main externally visible issue with threaded is that
shutdowns take longer than they could, if incoming connections dry up.
Yeah, that's not good for a tiny site, but not a big deal for a site
with a fair amount of traffic.   The tiny site folks can just use
prefork for now.

I just fixed a couple of problems that will cause 2.0 servers to stall.
They had absolutely nothing to do with locks, everything to do with
managing the number of active processes and threads.  Please observe
that the fixes went into both worker and threaded.

>                unless it looks a lot like worker MPM (but even
> more confusing due to the extra locks).  However, it is going to take
> a few days (a week?) to get worker MPM solid.  Then, we can evaluate
> how it compares to threaded.  rbb and I think we can get the shutdown
> and restart mechanisms working with this model.  I'm not sold on
> the current threaded MPM working.

As I said before, I'll be happy for worker becoming the primary
multithreaded Unix MPM, once it becomes stable, for a number of reasons.

In the mean time, I'm not aware of anyone who can make threaded stop
serving requests when it should be.  I can't break it.  Austin had it up
& running with PHP4.  Cliff was able to break some level of threaded by
doing several graceful restarts per second.  Even that is fixed in cvs
now, AFAIK.

Greg