httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: threaded.c assigning children to wrong slot
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:40:25 GMT
Actually, it dawned on me that this is worse than I stated.

There is no limit to processes joining a slot. If perform_idle_server_maintenance
deems it necessary to start more processes, a new process can start within
a slot where other processes are still starting, but haven't yet grabbed
all of the unused workers.

Because there is no locking, more than one process can grab the same worker
slot. I have not looked to see what problems this can cause, but two or
more processes each starting a worker in the same slot can't be good.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein