httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>
Subject Re: Debugging Apache
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:57:57 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 06:54:52PM +1000, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> > I've encountered some segmentation faults while using mod_jk version
> > 1.2.0 with Apache 1.3.20 (second and thereafter graceful restart tends
> > to be the problem).
> >
> > After talking about debugging options with mod_jk developers, they've
> > pointed me to this list to ask for the best way to produce useful
> > debugging output from Apache when the segfault of the child process
> > happens and the core is not dumped. I've seen the undocumented -S option
> > for truss, but Linux uses strace. In all honesty, I'm not really
> > proficient in any of this, so that's probably the biggest challenge
> > you're facing ;-)
> >
> > Platform is RedHat Linux 7.0 on Intel (AMD actually :-), Apache is
> > statically linked.
>
> As long as you have "ulimit -c" set high enough, it should dump the core
> on Linux (it certainly works fine with Apache 2.0).  Depending upon
> your shell, you can specify "ulimit -c 100m" which will allow 100MB
> core files to be created.  Most likely, it'll dump the cores in your
> apache-1.3 directory.

Aha, my Apache directory is /etc/httpd (ServerRoot=/etc/httpd, use old
scheme due to the fact I've been upgrading from older versions). This
directory is owned by root:root and only root user has write permissions
on it. Apache runs as apache:apache on my system and since child
processes are executed as apache, which is someone that doesn't have the
privilege to write here, nothing gets written, right? Could that be it?

When I was experimenting with compilers, Apache dumped the core in / and
that was the parent process (which runs as root) that did it. Not clear
why its core ended up in /...

BTW, my ulimit says it's 'unlimited', so I guess that shouldn't be an
issue.

> You know that seems to be an obvious omission from the debugging
> page.  Hmph.

If this in any way helps anyone else, I'll be more than happy.

Bojan