httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: Tag 2.0.21 was Re: daedalus is back on 2.0.21-dev
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:31:20 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 01:32:01PM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> > The PoD is working correctly, since graceful restart and
> > perform_idle_server_maintenance are both working.
>
> The current PoD code in CVS does not work correctly on systems that
> require the acquisition of the cross-process accept_mutex (either
> multiple listeners or non-S_L_U_A).  When you have multiple child
> processes, it'd take too long for all of the other threads to notice
> the worker_may_exit flag.

As far as I know, this is mostly a problem with
perform_idle_server_maintenance where the server isn't getting a
continuous stream of inbound connections (i.e. test machines).  And I
don't believe it has regressed since 2.0.16.

So (in my mind anyway) the impact of this problem on a production server
is mimimal.  Yeah, maybe we should do something about it someday, but it
shouldn't stop us from releasing a better beta.

Greg