httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Extraneous socket read?
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:15:32 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, dean gaudet wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:
>>
>>>Humm... If you use TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT, how to you handle clients
>>>connecting but not sending any bytes?
>>>
>>i'm not sure what happens if they connect and close before the timeout.
>>

>the socket is passed to accept() and you read() an EOF immediately... just
>like we'd like to see.
>
>also, it appears the timeout is broken (or i'm using it wrong)... awaiting
>word from kernel gurus.

Any good news on TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT?  If timeout handling is broken
in the kernel, I propose that it's better to just put in a
select-before-read patch for now, and later retrofit support for
TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT when timeouts work.  (And for Solaris, the
select-before-read solution is probably the long term solution
anyway.)

--Brian