httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: perf tuning (RE: test harness for Apache)
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2001 17:56:16 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 Paula_Stankus@doh.state.fl.us wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know the best way/methods/tools to monitor web applications
>>running on Apache written in java, jsp and some CGI?  Is server-status good?
>>Any hints on what to look for?  Any books on performance or white papers?  I
>>need to isolate performance problems on the webserver - would like to not
>>have to spend $$ for additional monitoring tools.
>>

>i get a lot of mileage out of the standard tools that come with each unix.
>
>"vmstat 5" is usually the first thing i type on a system with a
>performance problem.  i eschew "top" 'cause it doesn't give you the info
>in a useful format.

On platforms where it's available, I also highly recommend sar; running
its collector
program frequently (e.g., every couple of minutes) gives you some nice
historical data
on memory usage, paging, CPU usage, forks/second, execs/second, and
more.  Just as
vmstat is useful if you want to know why the web server is slow right
now, sar is
useful if someone asks why the web server was slow yesterday afternoon.

>strace or truss are usually the second thing i go for.
>
>your jvm may reduce the usefulness of strace -- it may be difficult to
>piece together what syscalls are for which request.  strace/truss work at
>the kernel syscall level, which is higher than the thread level in some
>unixes (i.e. solaris).

I've also found it useful to get a stack trace of the apps in question,
on platforms
and environments where the needed tools exist.  On Solaris, for example,
/usr/proc/bin/pstack
is great for getting the C stack trace of any running process.  It's
sometimes useful as
a crude profiling tool; if you have a multiprocess httpd, or a lot of
instances of a CGI
program running concurrently, or a multithreaded JVM, you can grab a
stack trace for
every thread; if a large percentage of processes/threads are in a given
code path, that's
often where the bottleneck is.

For routine monitoring, one of my favorite metrics is the number of
requests being
handled concurrently by each part of the system (web server, application
server, database,
etc).  For anything that uses a TCP connection for each request, you can
run netstat
periodically to count connections in established state on each port of
interest.  A
sudden, large jump in the count of established connections usually
indicates trouble--
either a spike in incoming traffic or a bottleck on the server that
slows down the
handling of an otherwise normal traffic load.  (It's also useful to
count connections
in close_wait at the same time, of course.)

--Brian