httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/threaded threaded.c
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:25:02 GMT
Ryan,

I ran one of my abuse runs against the current cvs tree. This is the same
tests that I have been running (where the cyclic idle periods were discovered).

The httpd.conf values are as follows:
StartServer          10
MaxClients           30
MinSpareThreads      100
MaxSpareThreads      200
ThreadsPerChild      50
MaxRequestsPerChild  1000

and the values in mpm_default.h are as follows:
DEFAULT_START_DAEMON       3
DEFAULT_MAX_FREE_DAEMON   10
DEFAULT_MIN_FREE_DAEMON    3
HARD_SERVER_LIMIT         32
HARD_THREAD_LIMIT         50
DEFAULT_THREADS_PER_CHILD 50

The first thing that happens is that Apache starts up the 10*50 workers
and reports that "server reached MaxClients setting. consider raising the
MaxClients setting." This is strange since it obviously started 10*50
(I checked with gtop at the number of processes/threads under httpd).

The second, and more critical thing, is that after 2 minutes children
started segfaulting. By 10 minutes the server stopped serving pages.
By 12 minutes there were no more processes left. All had segfaulted.

I have everything set to log core files to /tmp and have space there, but
no files got logged. In fact I have received core files before. But nothing
here. I'm checking into this.

I have 13 copies of Jeff Trawick's b program running on 7 different machines.
Apache is running on an eigth machine. The command line for the b programs is:

./b -c 100 -n 2559907 -f /tmp/replay.list -v

Third, if I run the same run but with MaxRequestsPerChild set to 0 (infinite)
It seems to run (for at least an hour) steadily at 200+ requests persecond
at over 3.5 MB/sec, but the memory footprint of httpd has been growing by about
2k every 5 seconds.

Finally, no matter how hard I try I cannot get it to ever go above 500 workers.
Even though I said it could start up to MaxClients = 30 * ThreadsPerChild = 50
= a total of 1500 workers. It starts the initial 10*50 and never rises above that.

If I have time later I will look into where the core files are and where it is dieing.
I just wanted to get this note in as soon as possible.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein