httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: State of the beta
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 05:57:42 GMT
On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:37:08PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Okay guys, here's the status.  In about three hours, I have to head toward
> BWI to catch a plane to Austin, TX.  I'll be there attending NVIDIA-U for
> the next 48 hours.  [For those who didn't know, my research interest
> focuses on 3D graphics.]  I'm taking my notebook with me, but I don't know
> how good my connectivity will be, if I even manage to get online at all.

Get some free video cards for all of us while you are out there.

> There are currently two problems with 2.0.22 that I kind of wish were
> fixed but aren't: (1) there are build problems that could be easily fixed
> to make Mac OS X/Darwin users' lives easier, (2) there are threaded MPM
> problems still remaining, which we knew, though it now appears that the
> worst of them could be easily fixed.  Is the gethostbyname_r problem that
> just got fixed in APR going to cause us headaches on the beta?  If so,
> make that (3).  There are other issues that have already been fixed in CVS
> since 2.0.22 as well, like exec cgi on Win32, though the ones above are
> probably the highest up on the importance scale.

1) I don't have a Darwin box.  If someone wants to donate one to me, I'd
like one.  =-)

2) Maybe, maybe not.  I really like the worker MPM.  I don't see the
threaded MPM working unless it looks a lot like worker MPM (but even
more confusing due to the extra locks).  However, it is going to take
a few days (a week?) to get worker MPM solid.  Then, we can evaluate
how it compares to threaded.  rbb and I think we can get the shutdown
and restart mechanisms working with this model.  I'm not sold on
the current threaded MPM working.

3) No, I don't think not having today's gethostbyname_r commit will
hurt much.  The real problem with gethostbyname_r was pre-Solaris 8
(which was fixed a week or two ago).  Recent Linux distros (dunno
about AIX) have getaddrinfo(), so they should already be thread-safe.
If you have an older Linux distro (I'd guess glibc2.0-based without
IPv6) and you are using threads, you probably want this update.
Show-stopper?  No.  Nice-to-have?  Probably.

I'm going to commit a quick fix that will enable getnameinfo() on
platforms that have that function but aren't IPv6-enabled (Solaris
7).  -- justin