httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] spmt MPM
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:39:45 GMT
Hey, it serves pages on my Linux 2.4/glibc-2.2 box.  This is a
proof-of-concept.  Would any committer (remember, I'm not a committer
to httpd-2.0) be interested in committing a working and clean spmt
MPM if I submitted one?

On Roy's suggestion, I looked at the dexter MPM, but it had the
capability of having additional children (making it mpmt).  That was
something I wanted to avoid.  Only *one* process should have threads
to serve pages.  Currently, it is a separate child process from the
original httpd process, but that gives some level of robustness.  I
can easily take that out though.

I didn't bother getting the cleanup mechanisms right or making sure
that the scoreboard is correct.  Altogether, fairly trivial things,
but they take time to code right.  I tried to focus on getting it
to serve pages correctly and condensing the mainline code.

To bootstrap this, I basically took the threaded MPM and threw out
most of the parts that relate to making multiple children.  A lot
of the other cruft not in the mainline in threaded MPM (i.e. the
config syntax) is unchanged.  -- justin