httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Uwe Mager <...@helios.de>
Subject Re: apache crash
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:12:02 GMT
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:11:56PM -0400, Jack Gostl wrote:

> We am running apache 1.3.17 with mod_ssl under AIX 4.2.1. We have a fast
> CGI app, written in C, that has been running well for app 2 months. Now,
> twice in the last two days, one of the apache tasks suddenly started using
> huge amounts of memory. Eventually all of the paging space is used the
> machine comes crashing down. It wasn't even a particularly busy day.
>
> Even though the memory allocated was "charged" to apache, I suspect that
> fastcgi was somehow involved.

I do not use fastcgi but modperl/Embperl and I had a similar problem
several times. The problem for me was that I cannot really reproduce
what triggered the problem. The only sure thing is that it started with
mod_ssl being put into the server, as I did not have the problem without
mod_ssl before. But then I did also upgrade Apache in that time, so this
is not exact science.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH