httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: threaded.c assigning children to wrong slot
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:04:37 GMT
On Monday 30 July 2001 07:10, Paul J. Reder wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > This is an edge case, not a main-line case.  How big a problem is this in
> > a real-world situation, instead of a benchmarking situation?
> When I run my abuse test, this is a big problem. My abuse test consists of
> replaying an access_log. I think that is a real-world situation.
> The only non-real-world aspect is that I replay it without delay. The file
> sizes and mix of request types however is very real.
> If you set MaxClients to 30 and ThreadsPerChild to 50, there is a big
> difference between 30 processes + 1500 workers and 1500 processes + 1500
> workers. How does a user config the threaded mpm for a given set of
> resources if they can't control the number of processes?

I would consider this to be a poorly configured server.  Either MaxRequestsPerChild is too
low, or you have too many threads per child.  In this situation, you are basically saying
your server is never reaching a steady state, it always has processes shutting down.

The other problem is the inability of our current threaded server to do graceful shutdowns
correctly.  Give it a few days/weeks to get the worker MPM working correctly, and try it again.
I am willing to bet that with an MPM that handles shutdowns correctly 90% of your problems
with this will go away.

Ryan Bloom
Covalent Technologies

View raw message