httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/metadata mod_headers.c
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:09:29 GMT
Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> writes:

> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:43:51AM -0000, trawick@apache.org wrote:
> > > trawick     01/06/04 03:43:51
> > >
> > >   Modified:    modules/metadata mod_headers.c
> > >   Log:
> > >   void * isn't compatible with a function pointer; deal with retrieving a
> > >   function pointer from apr_hash_get()
> >
> > If it isn't compatible, then we can't store them into an apr_hash_t. There
> > is a more basic problem than a simple cast.
>
> I believe that strictly speaking you have to make a union of void * and
> (void *)(). And there are platforms where it matters.

It would seem (to me) more friendly to apr_hash() users to make them
create their own structure to store the function pointer in, no?  That
lets them abuse it of course but it keeps the usual
non-function-pointer code cleaner.

So what is such a platform?  I'm curious.

> Did I ever mention that C++ and templates make these problems go away?
> :-)

but while everybody can pick up filtering in a couple of days, the use
of C++ in apache would scare off new contributors :)

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...