httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: idle server processes not going away
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 18:42:55 GMT
<rbb@covalent.net> writes:

> As for the problem that Jeff is describing, this is a problem with trying
> to make the old Apache 1.3 code fit the MPM model without paying enough
> attention to the flow of the code.  Take a look at the 1.3 code, it uses
> longjmp to make sure it is always executing the correct code.  The 2.0
> code tries to use return codes from APR functions.  But, the basic code
> still looks like the 1.3 code.  A few months ago, child processes were
> morphing into parent processes when we tried to kill them off.  To fix
> this, I modified some of the code to exit at the right time.  I believe
> about a month later, Paul Reder made a similar change.  IMNSHO, this can
> be solved only by actually taking the time to trace through the prefork
> MPM, and figure out what is happening, and fixing the bugs.  BTW, the
> threaded and perchild MPMs are incredibly similar to the prefork MPM in
> this respect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fixing the bugs."

As I see it, prefork wants to use signals as the way to tell child
processes to go away.  Doing much in the signal handler is
problematic.  Instead we need to 1) longjmp() from the signal handler to
a safe spot and exit from there or 2) we make sure we wake up when the
signal handler returns.  Do you have a third suggestion?

I'll post a patch in the next few minutes for solution 2.  It seems to
work fine.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...